Monday, October 8, 2012

Scent Work in the Yard




Played some scent work in the yard. Switched locations, Lucy in front yard, Jessie in back. They were highly motivated as they were doing it for pieces of their supper. Doing the whole yard now. Cool to see them twirl on a dime when they pick up the scent. Nice clean indications too!
Want to see speed and enthusiasm? Use a higher value reward! What a fun game!
In the dark again, so no videotaping done.

LS  when you say "played some scent work", what exactly is it that you are doing? Are you referencing K9 Scent Work, the sport? Tracking? Or hiding a scent source in the yard and sending Lucy or Jessie to find it? It sounds as tho the others understand exactly what it is you are doing ... but I'm unsure ... and want to learn. You already know that I have followed your blog. <g>

DH It's all play to them and variants on the same theme. Generalizing the behavior. By sending them out to find it, they learn the independence part of the scent work. Otherwise, they learn to depend on you. I also do sessions with them on leash and guided around the yard as that is what they will need to do for the allergy alert.

LS Do they then remain at the target source after alerting (with a bow, isn't it?) or return to you? Or.......bring it to you?

DH Stay at the source until I mark it. This is my acknowledgement that I've seen it. Too dark to video as I've been doing it at their supper time.